Transformation 60: Week 1, Day 3
So! What the heck is Epigenetic's any way?
Epigenetics, is the study of biological mechanisms that will switch genes on and off.
What does that mean?
First, let me give you a crash course in biochemistry and genetics. I promise, it will be painless!
- First up! Cells: Cells are fundamental working units of every human being. All the instructions required to direct their activities are contained within the chemical deoxyribonucleic acid, also known as DNA. Don’t worry; you are not going to be quizzed on this!
- DNA from humans is made up of approximately 3 billion nucleotide bases. There are four fundamental types of bases that comprise DNA: adenine, cytosine, guanine, and thymine, commonly abbreviated as A, C, G, and T. (Again, you are not going to be tested on this!)
- The order, or sequence of the bases is what determines our life instructions.
- Within the 3 billion bases, there are about 20,000+ genes. Genes are specific sequences of bases that provide instructions on how to make important proteins: complex molecules that trigger various biological actions to carry out life functions.
Epigenetic's, essentially, affects how genes are read by cells, and subsequently how they produce proteins.
Here are a few important points about epigenetics:
- Epigenetic's Controls Genes. Certain circumstances in life can cause genes to be silenced or expressed over time. In other words, they can be turned off (becoming dormant) or turned on (becoming active).
- Epigenetic's Is Everywhere. What you eat, where you live, your relationships, your sleep patterns, your physical activity or inactivity, internal dialog, even aging, can eventually cause chemical modifications around the genes that will turn those genes on or off over time. Additionally, in certain diseases such as cancer or Alzheimer’s, various genes will be switched into the opposite state, away from the normal/healthy state.
- Epigenetic's Makes Us Unique. Even though we are all human, why do some of us have blonde hair or darker skin? Why do some of us hate the taste of mushrooms or cilantro? Why are some of us more sociable than others?
The different combinations of genes that are turned on or off is what makes each one of us unique. There have also been indications that some epigenetic changes can be inherited.
- BUT HERE IS THE GREAT NEWS! Epigenetic's Is Reversible!
With 20,000+ genes, what will be the result of the different combinations of genes being turned on or off? The possible arrangements are enormous! But if we could map every single cause and effect of the different combinations, and if we could reverse the gene’s state to keep the good while eliminating the bad… then we could theoretically* cure cancer, slow aging, stop obesity, and so much more!
The story I shared with you yesterday feeds right into all of this! Due to these epigenetic factors, I had been sick for most of my life. It has only been the last 7 years that I have experienced what healthy actually feels like!
You don’t have to wait until your body starts falling apart or screaming at you to start making change. No, but you may actually be so use to living in a state of mild un ease, that you have simply excepted that this is part of life.
Its time to clean house!
You may already be making changes in your food, physical activity, or environment. Great! Just because we are not going through that topic doesn’t mean you can’t move forward. My goal, is to try not to overload you with information.
Today is about realizing that there is hope! Wherever you are on your journey, transformation is possible. That through this study and application of epigenetics, you have more power than you think you do when it comes to your health and wellbeing.
I am not going to tell you to count calories or weigh yourself. These are great biometrics to keep track of! And I will be sharing mine with you every two weeks because of the specific goals I have set for myself. However, it’s not about the number. It’s about the feeling I am wanting to achieve... the feeling you are wanting to achieve!
1. How do you currently feel mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually?
2. How do you want to feel?
3. What does success look like to you based on your personal goals/intention for T60?
These answers will be important as we move forward. You will see, I promise!